Every day and night you brush your teeth to get rid of plaque, stains, and bacteria that might have built up over time. But where does all the dirt and germs go? I’m sure you don’t believe they all get spat out with the toothpaste. Some of them actually remain on your toothbrush. And no, rinsing the brush thoroughly after brushing your teeth will not rid of all of the germs. So how do you clean your toothbrush to avoid putting these germs (that would have multiplied even more) into your mouth the next time you brush your teeth? This is where the electric toothbrush sanitizer comes in. This device has a bulb that emits UV-C light which can help get rid of germs. In this article, we review some of the top toothbrushes with electric sanitizers that can help keep your toothbrush in the right condition.
Best Electric Toothbrush Sanitizer Comparison
Top 5 Best Electric Toothbrush Sanitizer Reviews 2020
1. Philips Sonicare HX6877/21 Rechargeable Electric Toothbrush
The Philips Sonicare HX6877 electric toothbrush is designed to help to whiten the teeth and deliver all-round oral protection. The bush has a pressure sensor that detects when you are brushing too hard and alerts you. This smart toothbrush also features BrushSync technology which helps to track how long you’ve been using your toothbrush and recommends when the brush head needs to be changed.
This toothbrush offers a customized brushing experience. You can easily choose between three brushing modes each offering different intensity based on your needs and sensitivity of your teeth. There is the standard “clean mode” and the “white mode” for removing plaque and stains. The third mode is the “gum care” mode which is designed to gently massage your gum as you brush.
2. Fairywill PRO Electric Toothbrush with UV Sanitizer
The Fairywill PRO2056 helps to keep your brush from becoming a breeding ground for germs using a 2-in-1 UV sanitization technology. The UV sanitization chamber is auto-timed and it kills off the germs on your brush before your next brushing session. This brush comes in a travel-friendly case which makes it possible to carry your brush and brush heads and sanitize them easily wherever you go.
The Fairywill pro features a wireless charging dock which makes it possible to charge the electric toothbrush conveniently and safely. This is a very versatile toothbrush. It comes with 8 brush heads and can be used in 3 different modes. You can conveniently personalize your brushing experience with this toothbrush for truly effective cleaning and protection
3. AquaSonic DUO PRO Ultra Whitening Electric Smart ToothBrushes
The AquaSonic Duo Pro features a wireless charging dock that also doubles as a UV sanitizer with an auto-timer feature. It helps to keep your toothbrush clean and kills off germs. This charging dock is designed to house two toothbrushes that come with it which makes perfect for couples. This dock is travel-friendly. But the lithium-ion batteries can last up to 30 days on a single charge so you don’t have to carry the entire box with you on a trip if you don’t want to.
The package includes top-quality color-coded toothbrushes. The bushes can deliver up to 40,000VPM thanks to their powerful ultrasonic motors. It also includes 10 ProFlex brush heads to easily customize the brushes to your preference.
4. Philips Sonicare Flexcare Rechargeable Sonic Toothbrush
The Philips Sonicare Flexcare promises improved dental health within just two weeks of use. The brush uses a patented sonic technology that can deliver up to 31,000 strokes per minute to effectively get rid of plagues and clean the teeth. In addition to the regular full power clean mode, the Sonicare Flexcare also features a sensitive mode for those with sensitive gums and a massage mode.
This toothbrush comes with a rechargeable case and a brush head UV sanitizer which helps to clean up the toothbrush against your next brushing session. This brush is designed to be gentle on the gums and on the tooth which makes it just perfect for people with braces, periodontal pockets or dental restorations of any kind.
5. Philips Sonicare FlexCare Whitening Toothbrush
The Philips Sonicare features the patented Sonic technology with dynamic cleaning action that allows the brush to deliver up to 62,000 movements per minute. This helps to deliver premium whitening and stain removal while being gentle on the teeth.
There are three different brushing modes two personalized cleaning routines. You will also love the toothbrush’s easy start feature which helps to gently break in the toothbrush by gradually increasing power over the first 14 days of usage. To help keep the brush clean, this product includes a UV brush head sanitizer. This electric brush sanitizer also doubles as a charging base to charge the brush.
What is UV Sanitizer?
UV light comes primarily from the sun. It includes three classes of light including UV-A, UV-B, and UV-C. Although UV-C light from the sun does not reach the earth’s surface, man-made UV sanitizers make use of light of this same spectrum to destroy the genetic material of microorganisms and consequently get rid of harmful germs. UVC light in UV sanitizers helps to degrade the genetic material of viruses and bacteria stopping them from reproducing and effectively getting rid of them.
Types of sanitizers
- Ultraviolet Sanitizer (UV Sanitizer): UV sanitizers make use of UV-C light with a wavelength of between 200 to 280 nanometers. Light in this wavelength can cause damage to DNA and RNA materials in living cells. This makes it just the ideal method to get rid of micro-organisms. UV sanitizers harness the power of UV-C light to get rid of various types of germs in a matter of minutes. UV light can damage all cells including human skin cells. Thus, it can be quite harmful when humans are directly exposed to them. However, they can still be safely used to clean surfaces like desktops, sinks, door handles. UV sanitizers can also be safely used to clean objects like toothbrushes.
- Heat Steam Sanitizer: A heat steam sanitizer uses a form of pressurized saturated steam to get rid of germs. The germs are killed by moist heat delivered by the sanitizer. This is one of the most commonly used sterilization methods and it is quite dependable. A steam sanitizer is non-toxic, can penetrate fabrics, and rapidly get rid of viruses, bacteria, and other micro-organisms. However, long term use of a heat steam sanitizer can have some debilitating effects on some types of materials such as corrosion or melting in the case of plastic.
How does a UV sanitizer work?
UV sanitizers have bulbs that emit Ultraviolet light of short wavelength. UV light is invisible to the human eye. It is part of the invisible spectrum of light emitted by the sun and there are three different bands which include UV-A, UV-B, and UV-C. UV sanitizers use bulbs that emit shortwave UV-C radiation,
The UV-C light does not actually kill germs (at least no directly). Bacteria and other single-celled microorganisms have DNA and RNA materials which they use to reproduce. What UV light does is to destroy these nucleic acids. This makes it impossible for the organisms to reproduce or perform other essential functions needed to grow and stay life. As a result, a few minutes of exposure to UV light is an effective method of getting rid of bacteria and other micro-organisms on the toothbrush. Most good quality UV sanitizers can deliver up to 99.99% germ removal.
What To consider When Looking For The Best Electric Toothbrush Sanitizer
Electric toothbrush sanitizers are of various kinds with each manufacturer promising the effectiveness of their product. This can make it difficult to choose the right product for your needs. To make this simpler, here are some factors to consider to choose the best sanitizer:
- The Cleaning Method: one of the most important factors to consider in choosing an electric sanitizer is the cleaning method it uses. The commonest method of sanitization is with the use of Ultraviolet lights which clears bacteria and other germs using UV-C lights. Some other sanitizers use a combination of steam heat and UV lights which makes the process more effective by may damage the brush head in the long term.
- Bacteria Killing Capacity: most good UV sanitizers promise a germ-killing rate of up to 99.9%. Heat sanitizers can kill even more bacteria than the UV type. Of course, it is impossible to effectively monitor how true the claims of the manufacturers are regarding the cleaning capacity. So this may not be a major deciding factor. But it is still important to pay attention to this detail and be sure that you are getting a brand that really delivers on its promises.
- Battery Life: typically, an electric toothbrush sanitizer uses a battery and each model offers a slightly different battery life. You should check for the battery life of your unit before you make a purchase. You should confirm if the battery is rechargeable and also check how long the battery will last on a single charge. Some units come with replaceable batteries too. For these types, you must check how long the battery will work for before it needs to be replaced.
- Design: Sanitizers come in a variety of designs and colors. In addition to functionality, toothbrush sanitizers can also complement your bathroom decor which is why you should choose a unit whose design matches that of your bathroom. Portability is important and you might prefer a unit that sticks to your bathroom wall. A sanitizer with a travel-friendly design will also make a lot of sense if you spend a lot of time on the road.
- On/off feature: typically, there are two options for this, some sanitizers turn on and off automatically while others have an on/off button that controls the unit. There is no hard rule concerning which of these is better. The one to go for depends on your personal preferences.
- Check if it is suitable for different Brush Heads: one other thing to check is if the toothbrush sanitizer can be used with different brush heads. Some electric toothbrush sanitizer brands only support some specific toothbrush heads (usually the same brand). This isn’t necessarily a bad thing, but it can be problematic if you intend to use the sanitizer with toothbrush heads from other brands or even non-electric toothbrush heads.
Brushing your teeth regularly is important for your dental health. But you must also pay attention to your toothbrush to ensure that it is in a safe condition to keep your mouth clean. An electric toothbrush sanitizer is your best bet to get rid of germs and keep your toothbrush in excellent condition.